(All opinions and descriptions of life in Ukraine contained herein are mine. I do not, nor am I qualified to,
express the official opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.)

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Living for today

I recently realized that this process is just blazing right by me. In this past week I went from being medically cleared to realizing that in about two months time I will be on a plane to Washington D.C. for my PC orientation. I have had several really instrumental conversations with both friends and family about how this process has gone so far, and they have all been extremely supportive and have given me some really good insight into how they see me achieving my two year goal. I just want to re-iterate the fact that I feel like I have been extremely blessed to have been invited. I don't remember the exact statistic but I think it's something like 10,000 volunteers apply each year and only about 3,000 make it in. I feel so fortunate to be one of those 3,000.

Anyways, going back to my original point, I need to slow down right now. Everything around me and inside me wants to move so fast, but going back tot he conversations I've had with my family and friends, I have realized basically that I need to enjoy the now-- no matter where I am. This realization, while maybe not the most original and crazy thought out there, has really changed my perception of how I view my life, and this process at the present moment (literally).

By slowing this process down inside myself and really being able to feel how every step affects me, I believe that I will be able to translate that into how I deal with the process over seas as well. Today for example, I awoke with a feeling of great admiration and love for the city that I have been living in for the past three years.

It is an important life lesson for me to be able to slow down. I am such an insanely fast-pace and driven person at times that sometimes in life situations just breeze right by me. I think some of you can relate to this feeling, but it really is something that has got me to realize that I am about to undertake something that could either be an instrument for change or it could breeze by so fast because I'm caught up in the process.

Bottom line, living for today, for the right now, is something that I have been taking for granted for too long now. By slowing down, I have realized how truly blessed I have been in life having the family that I do, having the friends that I do, and having the opportunities that I have had.

All in all, life feels really good right now, almost like I have reached that top of an insurmountable climb up a really steep cliff. I'm a few inches from the top right now, and I think the view up there is going to be realllll sweet. I'll let you all know what it's like up there, but 'til then, I want all of you that have helped me along the way to know how much you are loved and appreciated in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment