(All opinions and descriptions of life in Ukraine contained herein are mine. I do not, nor am I qualified to,
express the official opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.)

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sick and tired of waiting!

I'm sick today. It's no fun, but it's not the worst I've ever had. I wish I could have seen it coming. I think I may have, but ignored it. It started a few days ago when my manager called out sick, and then a few people around the store were sneezing/coughing. Also, I have been going non-stop recently. Working 40 hours a week, helping my buddy move into my house, hanging out with the gf, etc... Today was one the first days in a while i did absolutely.... NOTHING. All day. Just sat, read, slept, read some more, ate. It was great. I've come to realize that being by yourself sometimes is the best medicine sometimes. A girl that is going to be serving along side me in Ukraine got in touch with me through this blog the other day and invited me to a facebook group created for groups 39 and 40 going in. I was thrilled to see so many like-minded individuals going in with me. It's going to be really fascinating to meet so many folks that share a common interest in things that I am into. I really can't wait any longer. I just want to be there already. I know it's going to be really tough in the beginning, but hey, what in life isn't hard. I mean, it's a good thing, but just stating the obvious here: life is not meant to be easy and enjoyable all the time. I think that's what I have learned today. While being sick and vulnerable, I learn the most about myself. Getting in touch with the harder side of life is something that is pushing me to become more in touch with myself, and in turn i feel greatful for the many aspects of my life that are easy and great. I've decided to make a list of the things I have taken for granted here in the U.S. growing up with so much:

1. My family- This is a given for me. They are my saving grace, and without them I wouldn't be who I am today.
2. Friends- I have had some really good ones here, I really feel like they have taught me a lot about myself. Especially childhood friends, and present and ex-girfriends.
3. Hot running water- yes I have traveled many places where running water, let alone hot water is not readily available.
4. Food- This was going to be higher up on the list, but i lowered it due to the fact that when it really comes down to it, I am not a picky eater. I just love food. Growing up in California has been a blessing, we truly have some of the best/freshest/most delicious produce and food items on the planet.
5. Safety- I guess not all of California is super safe, but growing up in Nevada County was a gift from above. I mean, we didn't ever have to lock the doors to my house, I could run around freely and not have a care in the world, other than the mean pitbull terrier down the street.
6. Education- While many of us have gripes over our public education system, it's still a whole lot better than most countries. While i'm not the most prepped student, I'd still consider myself very into learning new things, and consider myself extremely fortunate to have a BA in photojournalism.
7. Financial Abundance- While money doesn't equate into happiness, it still is something necessary to our modern existence. Being broke is no fun either. Luckily, my family has never been broke, and I have always had a job and never had issues with money. Currently, the only debt I owe is a few grand for school loans, and that's being put off by the PC, so don't even have to worry about that 'til i get back.

All in all, it's a good life. I mean, getting this kind of opportunity to go and live, learn, teach, and just give is going to be great. I really can't wait any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment