(All opinions and descriptions of life in Ukraine contained herein are mine. I do not, nor am I qualified to,
express the official opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.)

Friday, November 19, 2010

2 weeks of PST left...

What a crazy thought. I am almost ready to become a PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer). Where has the time gone? It's hard to tell really.

Today I had my meeting with the placement officers. They came to my cluster around 1:00 pm. We took turns talking to them for about 20 minutues each. It was pretty much as I expected it to be. No gaurantees, a lot of open-ended questions.

PCPO: "Where would you're ideal location be?"

Me: "In the mountains, maybe somewhere near a river."

PCPO: "Hahaha, yeah... The mountains are in the west, which is Ukrainian-language territory... sorry but to be realistic you'll most likely be in the middle, south, or east."

Me: "Ok no problem, so no chances of being in the mountains then?"

PCPO: "Not really."

And that's pretty much the extent of the conversation. All in all, it's not so bad... considering I signed up with the knowledge of the potential of being placed anywhere in the world, let alone a specific country. Peace Corps does an excellent job of preparing you to serve wherever you are needed, and that I am- Ready and willing.

I feel like this meeting was good in the sense that I got an idea of what the officers were considering, but at the same time, I got the feeling that they already knew where I was going to go, and were just double checking to see if I truly matched the profile on the peice of paper...

I hope I did. I hope I end up somewhere that really could use me. I'm almost sure I will. The anticipation is a bit over-bearing at times, but I take it in stride, and understand that sometimes the unknown is what makes us human.

I am definately ready to live on my own. I have loved living with a host family, but the fact that I haven't cooked a single meal for myself and have not washed a single load of my own laundry for the past 2 months seems a bit childish at times. Don't get me wrong, I love being pampered, but it wasn't really what I signed up for. I am ready for all the hardships that you expect when you sign up for the PC, and I feel like I could use some of those hardships right now.

I'm also hoping that I get placed in a town where I am by myself (no other PCV's in the town). I really want to get that one-on-one intimate feeling with the locals. Not that I couldn't do that with someone else there, but I feel like I would benefit language-wise and also with experience if I were to be placed alone.

Anyways, these are all just hypothetical wishes and after-thoughts. Thanks for tuning into my rambling. I hope everyone is doing well. I will really miss you all even more with the coming of Thanksgiving (my favorite holliday). It's going to be the first time in forever that I will be missing the festivities that occur around the hollidays, and that's going to be really hard. JJ- if you're reading this hit a few home-runs for me on thanksgiving day- I miss all of you back home so much, and hope to see you real soon (hopefully in Ukraine!)

Much much love and peace:

Nitai

No comments:

Post a Comment