(All opinions and descriptions of life in Ukraine contained herein are mine. I do not, nor am I qualified to,
express the official opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.)

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Last day teaching in Obukhiv

Today was my last day teaching in School #3. It was awesome... and somewhat sad. The lesson went really well I felt, and I got the kids to learn about the future tense "going to" while watching them enjoy it! I had them do some games like racing to see who could contract subjects such as: I am= I'm, You are= You're. They really got it fast!

Anyways, at the end of the lesson, I told them that that was it, and that I wouldn't be teaching them anymore. I felt a wave of sadness come over me like nothing I've ever experienced before. I really have grown attached to this group of 6th graders. They came up to me at the end of the class and shook my hand and hugged me. They gave me a funny little souvenire of a "dedushka" (Ukrainian grandpa) and told me that they really appreciated me.

I guess this is what the Peace Corps is all about- getting the little moments out of life. I felt an extreme wave of sadness after I said goodbye to them. It's not like I won't be seeing them again, we have a concert next friday, but still- I really enjoyed teaching them.

It's funny how I have such an attachment to the 6th grade. I spent my 6th grade learning in Israel, so I guess that's why I am so connected to it. It was the year that I spent abroad, and will always remember so fondly for learning how to speak another language fluently, and making so many new friends. I really love 6th graders.

I think it's also because 6th graders are at the phase where they are becoming much more mature. They understand more complex materials, and are serious about learning. Most importnatnly, they haven't lost their enthusiasm for life, and are very eager to learn. Their excitement gets me excited, and I feel like I am back in 6th grade, re-learning the same things I did when I little- just in a slightly different way.

Anyways, the day was glorious and I wish I could replay it again. I am missing home very much, due to the fact that it is Thanksgiving, but there is so much to be thankful for today, that it pretty much made up for me being away from home this year.

I love and miss you all so much, and am so thankful to have this opportunity to learn and grow and give. I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving and hope that it was as wonderful as mine!


My 6th form class and I


Rocky, Katie and I with our 10th form class

1 comment: