(All opinions and descriptions of life in Ukraine contained herein are mine. I do not, nor am I qualified to,
express the official opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.)

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Years- Ukrainian style!


Last week may have been the worst week so far in Ukraine. A serious sickness over took me- I have been sick since Monday with some kind of wicked Ukrainian flu. Anyways, on New Years Eve I was still pretty out of it, but was still able to make it over to Dasha's house for an AMAZING meal! She made pretty much every single dish ever conceived of in Ukraine. It was amazingly delicious to say the least. After dinner, we went out to the town square and watched people shoot off fireworks and dance around the big Christmas tree. We were enjoying the atmosphere of drunk merry-makers until a couple rockets flew right by us, almost impaling Dasha's husband Ivan. That ended our night, I was pretty shook up- but all in all I had a great night. I felt very welcomed and at home at my counterparts house. Ukrainians know how to make you feel right at home.

Here are some shots:

Dasha's girls

Dancing

Fire!

more fire...

Fireworks



4 comments:

  1. Dear Nitai
    I am still following your blog and it sounds like a wonderful experience. I am looking forward to my arrival in Ukraine in March. I have a question that I hope you can answer. Do you encounter many folks speaking Russian? When I received my welcome packet, I read that 80% of the folks there speak it. I couldn't find any conversational Ukrainian language programs, so instead decided to focus on learning to speak Russian. Do you think this will be useful?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne- It all depends on where your site will be. Russian is commonly used by the younger generations of Ukrainians, however, if you're placed in the Western mountains, especially in small villiages, you will need to know Ukrainian. Don't worry, you will get intensive language training over here, you don't need to worry too much about studying on your own, it's not effective I've found anyways, you really need to hear and speak it like every day for you to fully get something out of it. I myself am in the South-East so I speak and hear only Russian- the only times I hear Ukrainian is on the radio and TV, and on some advertisements on billboards- otherwise I only use Russian.

    Hope I cleared that up for you, let me know if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nitai-Thank you for clearing that up...I appreciate your letting me know. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pleasure, good luck to you as well :)

    ReplyDelete