(All opinions and descriptions of life in Ukraine contained herein are mine. I do not, nor am I qualified to,
express the official opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.)

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Nitai Хозяйка Vinitzky

Yes, I've become domestic. Super domestic in fact. For all of you puzzling over my new middle name in the title, it means: House wife or Landlady in Russian. Yes, that's how domesticated i've become- it's my middle name now.
If you don't believe me, please keep reading.

Today, my day consisted of:

1. Going to the bazaar early this morning to buy all sorts of odds and ends, including a Aquafor water filter (european-style Brita), Sugar, Flour, Grater, my favorite type of apple (Goldens, friggin' delicious), beets, potatoes, and a long power extendor for my next project-

2. Washing clothes. This part was the part of my day that started to make me really feel like I was in the peace corps. Up until now, I haven't done any laundry in Ukraine. The first month I was here, my landlady just randomly told me that she was going to do my laundry for me. I was not opposed to that. But today, I finally busted out the little machine she bought for me and put it to use. Let me tell you something- it feels really good to pretty much manually wash all of your clothes- both mentally and physically. It's not easy work. I got a really good fore-arm workout from wringing out almost every peice of laundry I own. Unfortunately, my clotheslines are out in this little deck/patio area that is kind of freezing cold, so we'll see how long it takes them to dry...
View of my drying system

3. After getting down and dirty with my clothes, I cooked up a storm. I made my very own curry from scratch for the first time in my life. It's the easiest thing to do. For my fellow PCV's, you must try the recipe that is in the cookbook given to us at training (I think it's called Curry #1). It basically takes 2 minutes, and the results are scrumptulescent.

Today Nitai's kitchen pumped out Vegetarian Curry and Beet Salad

4. I cleaned the crap out of my house. I took apart my whole stove and scrubbed the living H out of it. My house didn't know what was coming to it, I just basically ravaged every last corner that I initially missed in the first wave of cleanings that occurred when I moved in. Now, I can confidently say that I have left no corner un-scrubbed.

This basically sums up my day of being a maid. It wasn't half-bad either. My forearms are nice and sore, my back is feeling it too from scrubbing... To all of the PCV's who allegedly said they don't get any exercise in the winter in Ukraine - do some laundry and scrub the living god out of your house, and trust me, you will get quite the aerobic workout.

Anyways, time for bed now- all this talk of scrubbing and cleaning has worn me out...

Until next time, mountains of love and peace-

N

(Title Credit to Alison Cumbow- you are my inspiration for living in this world)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day. Thanks for sharing your experiences in the Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nitae - Thane sent me a link to your blog and I'm loving it! Thanks so much for bringing us along on your journey! It is so very different than the journey we are on. If you get a chance and want to read about our travels, we are on blogspot too - http://thaneandmelissa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks guys! Glad you're tuning in. I have been following Thanes photo log on FB and it looks like you guys are having a wonderful time! Safe travels to you, and if you're ever in Ukraine, you know who to call...

    ReplyDelete