(All opinions and descriptions of life in Ukraine contained herein are mine. I do not, nor am I qualified to,
express the official opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.)

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Quarantine

Right as I start to think: "Hmm, I'm getting a bit of the hang of this whole teaching thing..." the door slams shut right in my face. That's right. I won't be teaching another class until the 31st of January.

It's kind of a blessing and a curse. Yes, I have 11 days off. But on the other hand- I've really been enjoying teaching, and just being at school with the local kids. They are a lot of fun, and I never ever expected I would actually enjoy this job as much as I have been.

By saying I didn't expect to enjoy this job, I mean that in the best possible way. When I signed up for the Peace Corps, I never imagined that every day I would jump out of bed, excited at the prospect of going to school. I thought I would have my moments of joy, and a lot of downtime and sorrow- But man, have my expectations been outplayed- BIG TIME.

1st expectation that was exceeded was that I have an AWESOME, and I mean AWESOME counterpart. She basically makes my life a piece of cake. She is very clear, and understands what I want and what I need to be as effective as possible.

2nd exceeded expectation- I have an AWESOME school, and the kids are all pretty damn nice and for the most part on task at all times.

3rd exceeded expectation- I have running, hot water, a comfortable, quiet apartment, and I live right next to my school.

4th exceeded expectation (this should actually probably go higher up on the list)- the weather here is pretty damn warm for a Ukrainian winter. I mean, I was expecting to freeze my nether-parts off, but no. It is on average about 50 degrees Fahrenheit out, and sunny way more than I ever thought it would be- which leads me to my

5th and final exceeded expectation- I live in Crimea, it is warm here, it is beautiful here. The people seem really laid back. I train with the local football team, I eat awesome, locally grown foods from the Bazaar (that includes tomatoes, carrots, onions, beets, cabbage, lemons, and many many more), I have already made several friends (within the first month), I have been quite healthy (since my last big sickness), and am in pretty high spirits all around.

Life is good in Ukraine- and I hope it continues this way, I really don't see anything slowing me down, but here's to a positive future anyways!

Much love and peace,

N

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! I love reading how wonderful it is there Nitai..I am so happy for you. I can't wait to come!

    ReplyDelete