(All opinions and descriptions of life in Ukraine contained herein are mine. I do not, nor am I qualified to,
express the official opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.)

Friday, February 11, 2011

Early Spring

Still can't believe it's Friday as I type this blog... Time has been moving quite quickly now that i'm back in school following the quarantine. After being bored silly with nothing to do for a few weeks, I've been thrown back into the fray.

Along with the 14 classes I teach, I have 3 English clubs that i've started. Two of them were this past week, and I would say they were a monumental success. The first one, which is for students from the 3rd-6th forms was so good, that apparently the kids told their parents about it and the parents called the school director to tell her how happy their kids were about it.

Now that's what i'm talking about. I mean, I never expected it to be recognized for my work, but the fact that I am is making my time over here that much more worth it. It's the little things, like a gigantic grin and sparkling eyes from a 2nd grader when you tell him that his drawing of a giraffe is "Atlitchna" (great/fantastic/wonderful), like a hug from a 3rd former who screams "Mr. Nitai! Ya skootchayoo tebya!" (I missed you!) after seeing him for the first time following the quarantine.

On a sad note though, I had to transfer my kitten, Remus, to my counterpart, Dasha. I started waking up in the middle of the night, wheezing and coughing. So luckily, Dasha wanted him so I just handed him over, and now I still get to see him often but without the allergic symptoms.

But on a lighter note, it seems as if spring has hit Ukraine early. Record high temperatures have been recorded all over the country, and Armyansk is no exception. Today I woke up to a bright blue sky and birds twittering in my window. I don't know how long it will last, but it sure does feel like spring.

To all of you back home, I miss you, It's been hard not seeing all of my beloved family and friends for the past 5 months, but just know, you are all in my heart and soul, and I truly don't know what I would do without you. Thank you all for your constant support and love. I really appreciate it.

Love Nitai


PS Here is a video of my English club, we were playing "Musical Chairs".


video

No comments:

Post a Comment