(All opinions and descriptions of life in Ukraine contained herein are mine. I do not, nor am I qualified to,
express the official opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.)

Thursday, September 1, 2011

первый звонок (First Bell)

And so another summer comes to a close. What a summer it was too. But looking to the future, I am extremely excited to be starting a new school year. My optimism stems from a few new changes to my schedule that I thoroughly look forward to.

For starters, I was gifted three DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) Cameras from National Geographic through a program in Simferopol. I have them now for a year, and am happy to announce that I will be teaching a photography class this upcoming school year!

Furthermore, I have grant project in the making. I won't divulge quite yet the specifics of it due to the fact that it's still in the early brewing stages. Stay tuned though-- I will be needing all of the help I can get once it gets written up.

Finally, I feel like I need to say that I have finally got a grip of the Russian language. I mean, i'm not fluent by any means, but I understand a good deal more than I did last semester. I can't stress how significant it is to know the language when you're teaching English (especially to young students). So I feel like i'm coming in better equipped than last semester, so I feel very optimistic about my teaching capabilities.

All in all, a lot more to look forward to this next school year!

Below are a few pictures of the ceremonial "First Bell". It's basically a commencement ceremony that marks the beginning of the new year by ushering in the new students with flowers, backpacks and balloons. 

Hope you all are well, and hope to talk to some of you soon!

Until next time!
Much Love and Peace from Ukraine,

Nitai

Romeo and Juliette

Footballers

Onlooking Babushkas

Classy Teacher

New Terrorists (AKA new first graders)

Fresh faces ready to learn

Maybe not this one

This one's just wants to go home already... :(

Not this one, she's ready with her bouquet

Ritual backpack hand out- 11th formers giving 1st formers new backpacks for school

Release of the customary Yellow and Blue Balloons

Ring-a-ling!

Administration

The sound of school couldn't be any sweeter!

1 comment: