(All opinions and descriptions of life in Ukraine contained herein are mine. I do not, nor am I qualified to,
express the official opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.)

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Technology Resource Center

I'm extremely pleased to announce that the project grant that I have been working on for a while now, has finally been validated by Peace Corps Washington!!!

The grant has been a lot of work for me over the past few months. I have been talking to teachers about it since I arrived in Armyansk, and really more than anything, trying to assess what it is exactly that the school needs from me.

Finally, we came to the conclusion that the school just isn't up to snuff on it's technological resources. There are only several working, and modern computers in the entire school, very few students have access to them, and moreover, there is no real learning process with regards to new and updated equipment.

Essentially, in todays world where technology is rapidly changing and becoming more and more sophisticated, our students are being left behind. Not only in the sense that they do not have the required skills to be productive members in the broader sense of our "global village", but more so that they don't really stand a chance to push themselves outside of the boundaries of their consigned communities.

 Every day when I go to school, I see a vast potential of the students at my school, and I see a certain hunger and capacity for learning-- and yet, the materials that the school is able to offer are often (and usually) extremely outdated, boring, and really un-engaging.

What my goal is through this project is to bring a certain amount of excitement and progressive thinking to the students of School #1 Armyansk. I know in the bigger scheme of things, it's only the beginning of something that will be greater in the future. But really, I believe that by making small ripples in a big pond might eventually cause a wave. I know it sounds corny, but hey, I've gotta try, we all do.

So here is where I need you, whoever it is that is reading my blog at this time and place, to step out and try and help me make this ripple here. I'm not asking for millions, the project itself is going to cost approximately $9,000 US, and it's going to provide my students with 10 modern computers, access to Internet, a scanner, projector, smart board and printer. My school has already contributed 25% of the above cost, so i'm looking to fundraise approximately $7,000.

So please, if you know anyone who could help with this, please forward on this link for me, I would greatly appreciate your help, and I know my students would as well :)

https://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=donate.contribute.projDetail&projdesc=343-270

With much love and peace from Armyansk, Ukraine-

Nitai

2 comments:

  1. I posted a link to this on my facebook. Hope it helps a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, thanks so much Melissa, every post helps :)

    ReplyDelete