(All opinions and descriptions of life in Ukraine contained herein are mine. I do not, nor am I qualified to,
express the official opinions of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government.)

Friday, November 2, 2012

The Final Fall

I don't know if many of you know this about me, but fall (or autumn as our british friends say) is by far my favorite time of year. I don't really know why or how it became my favorite season but here are a few insights on the possibilities.

1. Fall= change. Which leads to the next two reasons below.
2. Change in colors
3. Change in temperature (I like cooler temperatures i've realized).
4. The best holidays are in fall (halloween, thanksgiving)
5. The best food is to be had in the fall, considering it's the harvest season.

That list pretty much sums up my feelings for this season. If i've missed something, please feel free to add your thoughts to why it's considered the best season of the year. I think also, I always loved the feeling of a "new year" beginning. I know it's technically in Winter when we have our new year, but the fall season brings a new school year, which to me always equalled a new year. A time of death and rebirth occurs during this season which signals a lot of optimism inside me.

This year especially signifies a time of death and rebirth. I'll be out of Ukraine in a little over a month. With that in mind, I feel like i've been much more grateful of this last fall and these last few months have really signalled my renewed appreciation for what i've gone through in the past few years.

It's hard to really sum up what kind of emotions are coming up, but I feel them coming in waves at all times of the day (and night- especially the night, with all my dreams). I don't really know exactly what the future holds, but knowing that I had a great past few years here in Ukraine and feeling so blessed in the moment to have what i've experienced, I feel like this fall is probably one of my most special ones.

With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, I would like to extend my greatest and deepest thanks to all of you who have been so instrumental, influential, positive and supportive in my life. No need to name names, because you know exactly who you are if you're reading this right now. I know that without you, yes you, I would not have been able to be here experiencing one of the greatest things i've experienced in my life if it were not for you.

Finally, I would like to leave you with some wisdom that my service has brought up for me in the recent months: If you think you can't do something, or something is too big or hard or challenging for you, try to look at the easiest thing about that challenge and focus on that. Over here, while there were days that were down right rotten, I would always think about something that would cheer me up, and think about how that one little thing, even it was a bowl of soup that I liked, that would get me through the day.

So if you see something on your horizon that is potentially overwhelming, just start with a small focus point, something that will make you happy in the near future, and then use that object of happiness to broaden that emotion until it takes over your experience. I know it may seem ridiculous  but it really has helped me a lot.

Thanks for reading my blog. I miss all of you back home very much, and can't wait to see you this next summer (yes i'm planning on being back in the states in around June-July!). So keep your happiness high and remember, in the words of the great Diana Ross: "There ain't no mountain high enough".

Love ya all, be seeing you all real soon!

N

No comments:

Post a Comment